The federal tax laws require brokerage firms, mutual funds, and other entities to report on Form 1099 all investment income, usually interest or dividends, they have paid to investors during the previous tax year.

Form 1099 is a tax form required by the Internal Revenue Service.  The SEC does not provide tax advice or interpret Form 1099 information.  For more information about Form 1099 for investment income and expenses, please visit the website of the Internal Revenue Service, where you can read about Interest Income and Dividends and Other Corporate Distributions. You can also reach the IRS on its toll-free number at 1-800-829-1040.